“What we talk about when we talk about food.”
This week we are very happy to present the keynote panel from the 2017 Food Book Fair, recorded live from Liberty Hall at the Ace Hotel New York. The discussion was moderated by Frank Bruni and featured panelists Mario Batali, Samin Nosrat, Myisha Priest, and Ken Friedman. They explored what it means to be engaged in the business, pleasure and politics of food today.
This episode also features another pod-collab with our man in the field, Jason Stewart, aka Them Jeans. Jason interviewed authors, chefs, and a few innocent bystanders from the always poppin lobby of the Ace Hotel. Catch the long-form version of Jason’s interviews on the latest episode of The Stew.
Thanks to Food Book Fair co-directors Amanda Dell and Kimberly Chou. To panelists Samin Nosrat, Dr. Myisha Priest, Ken Friedman, Mario Batali, and moderator Frank Bruni. To Jason Stewart for another pod collab, as well as his interview subjects, Kerry Diamond, Julia Sherman, Andrea Gentl, Dana Cowin, Mac Malikowski, Liz Prueitt, Amy Chaplin, and the ice cream god, Nick Morgenstern.
- What is the Food Book Fair?
1m 54s, 2:28
- ACT ONE: The Panel
2m 12s, 4:22
- Samin Nosrat on her new book, Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat, discussing how our greater understanding of the science of cooking is serving home cooks.
2m 30s, 6:34
- Mario Batali on how the restaurant business has changed.
- Ken Friedman and Batali on kinds of “restaurants going away.”
1m 35s, 11:02
- How does one define or draw the line between paying respect to another cuisine, and casually exploiting it?
1m 56s, 14:30
- Batali on regional cuisine
- On cultural appropriation
4m 13s, 16:58
- Samin Nosrat: Was there a genre or ethnicity of cooking that most surprised you?
2m 13s, 21:11
- Ken Friedman: What tells us something about your values, and what’s the key to who you are in the way you approach food?
1m 35s, 23:24
- Mario Batali: What’s a facet of your eating life that tells a lot about you?
1m 22s, 24:59
- How politicians telegraph their identity through what they eat.
3m 13s, 23:24
- Mario Batali on cooking the last Obama State Dinner.
2m 8s, 29:34
- Samin Nosrat: If you were called on to cook for the current president…
7m 50s, 33:06
- ACT TWO: Jason Stewart from the lobby of the Ace Hotel (for the long-form version, listen on The Stew)
3m 8s, 40:56
- What bite of food makes me the happiest?
1m 51s, 44:04
- What is an ingredient you find yourself overusing?
1m 52s, 45:55
- The dish you always have to make.
2m 5s, 47:46
- Which chef do you admire the most, dead or alive?
2m 28s, 49:51
- How would you like to die?
- What is your most treasured possession?
3m 42s, 54:36
- If you were reincarnated into a non-living object, what would it be?
3m 7s, 58:18